What size dumpster do I need?
How to choose the right size dumpster for your project?
There are several factors to consider when renting a dumpster. The initial most important considerations are the following:
- What type of material are you throwing away.
- How much trash do you have (volume)?
- Where can you place the dumpster and how much space do you have to place the dumpster?
General Dumpster Size Considerations
Some general thoughts when planning your rental dumpster selection. Consider the type of material that you will be getting rid of.
If you’re planning a big project with heavy materials, consider a 10- or 15-yard roll-off dumpster with multiple pickups. Heavy materials include brick, concrete, dirt, gravel, rocks and tile.
If you’re planning a big project with materials that aren’t on our heavy materials list — opt for a larger 30-to-40-yard dumpster.
Standard Dumpster Sizes
Roll-off Dumpsters come in various sizes to meet most situations. Here will focus on the four most popular rental dumpster sizes 10-yard, 20-yard, 30-yard, and 40-yard dumpsters.
Rental dumpster sizes are described in Cubic Yards. A cubic yard is 3ft wide by 3ft tall by 3 feet high (27 cubic feet). A cubic yard is about 5 to 6 13-gallon trash bags or about the size of a built-in dishwasher.
10 Cubic Yard Dumpster: About 17 ft x 7.5 ft x 3.5 ft. Good for small home pre-move junk removal and small to medium landscaping projects.
15 Cubic Yard Dumpster: About 16 ft x 7.5 ft x 4.5 ft. Good for small remodels, roofing jobs, and large landscaping projects.
20 Cubic Yard Dumpster: About 22 ft x 7.5 ft x 4.5 ft. Good for kitchen and other extensive room remodels as well as large home pre-move junk removal.
30 Cubic Yard Dumpster: About 22 ft x 7.5 ft x 6 ft. Good for renovations and other whole house construction projects, as well as whole house cleanouts.
40 Cubic Yard Dumpster: About 22 ft x 7.5 ft x 8 ft. Good for major construction projects, demolitions, and large scale renovations.
Questions to review when planning to rent a dumpster
When you are getting ready to rent a dumpster you will want to do a few things first. Consider the following questions before you search of “dumpster near me”
- Are you tossing several dozens of garbage bags, rooms of furniture, or various renovation materials?
- Do you need a dumpster to help with your kitchen remodel?
- Do you need a dumpster to hold roofing material?
- Do you need a dumpster to help with your bathroom remodel?
- Are you planning an addition to your home and need a dumpster?
- Are you getting a dumpster to help remove landscape material?
- Are you renting a dumpster to clear out your garage or basement?
- How much space do you have to place the dumpster?
- Can you put the dumpster on your driveway or in your yard?
- Are you allowed to put a dumpster on the street in front of your house?
- Is a 10 yard dumpster large enough?
- Is a 20 yard dumpster large enough?
- Is a 30-yard dumpster larger enough?
- Is a 40-yard dumpster large enough?
- How to calculate the correct dumpster size?
Best Dumpster Rental
Dumpsters are an efficient and convenient way to keep your project on track with easy junk removal.
Or call is 248-775-7400